Mr Wang Hao, Academician of Chinese Academy of Engineering and Honorary Director of China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research (IWHR), China
Presenting in Plenary Session I: Water security in the context of climate change
The title of presentation: Water security and sponge city
Wang Hao was born in 1953 in Beijing, China; he finished his Ph.D. at Tsinghua University in 1989. A top expert in hydrology and water resources, Prof. Wang is a fellow of Chinese Academy of Engineering, and receives honorary allowance from the State Council. He currently heads the State Key Laboratory of Water Cycle Simulation and Regulation, and Department of Water Resources, China Institute of Water Resources and Hydropower Research. Prof. Wang is actively involved in professional water associations, acting as the chairman of China Sustainable Development Research Association, executive vice chairman of China Water Resources Strategy Research Association, vice chairman of China Society of Natural Resources, and vice president of Global Water Partnership (China). His signatory achievements include the “natural-social” dualistic water-cycle theory, and a holistic technology package of simulating and regulating the water cycle and its associated water ecology, water chemistry and flow, and sediment process. Among the myriad of accolades he wins are: the United Nations ‘Global Human Settlements Award’, China ‘National Advanced Workers’, “‘WuYi’ Labor Day Medal”, and numerous state and provincial awards. Prof. Wang has published 36 monographs and over 450 papers, and applied over 90 patents. He sits on the Advisory Committee of Ministry of Water Resources, China since 2016.
- 2014: “Global Human Settlements Award” , the United Nations
- 2014: “National outstanding science and technology workers”, China Association for Science and Technology
- 2009:“Advanced individual dedicate to national water conservancy system”, the Ministry of Water Resources, China
- 2006:“Outstanding technical professional”, by the Organization Department of the Central Committee of the CPC, the Propaganda Department of the Central Committee of the CPC, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security. and the Ministry of Science and Technology.
- 2005: Elected a fellow of “Chinese Academy of Engineering”
- 2005: “National Advanced Workers”, by the State Council
- 2004: “51 Labor Honorary Medal” ,by the central state organs’ union federation
- 2004: “Key Contributor to South-to-North Water Diversion Project planning and design”, by the Ministry of Water Resources, China
- 2001: “Key contributor to key state science and technology programs in the Ninth Five-Year Period”, by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Finance, State Planning Commission, and State Economic and Trade Commission